Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
From today's NY Times
- 12 sea scallops
- salt and pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- all-purpose flour, for dusting
- 2 tablespoons white miso or 2 tablespoons miso
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon superfine sugar
- 1 bunch watercress, thick stems removed
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- 1⁄2 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- Season scallops on both sides with salt, pepper and garlic, and lightly dust with flour. In a cup, combine miso, mirin, soy sauce, sugar and enough water (1 to 2 tablespoons) to give a pourable consistency; set aside. Arrange watercress on a serving plate as a bed for scallops.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Sear scallops on both sides until lightly browned and just firm, about 4 minutes a side. Turn off heat, and remove scallops to a plate.
- Pour wine into skillet, and stir, scraping up any browned bits from bottom of pan. Add miso mixture to pan, and bring to a boil over high heat, stirring. Turn off heat, and stir in mustard and cream.
- Place scallops on watercress, drizzle warm sauce on top and shower each scallop with cheese. Serve warm.
It was really good, like everyone else I didn't have watercress, I used quinoa.
DH and I made this last night for dinner. It was really easy and really good. I didn't have watercress, so I served over couscous. DH said next time not to serve over couscous and stick to either watercress or rice. Either way, it was really tasty and we would have it again. Thanks!
Absolutely amazing, my whole family thought so. I made this recipe excatly as stated except for presentation,I served scallops in shells, poured sauce over and topped with the parmesan cheese, I then melted that under the grill. I was very skeptical of mixing Asian flavours with that of more Italian flavours, but it was gorgeous and went really well together, the parmesan cheese did not overpower any of the flavours at all. It was wonderful. Thank you so much for sharing, gorgeous and I will make often.