Recipe by alijen
From the Today Show. Light lemon and pancetta flavors. I love this over greens with the extra, unused marinade as a dressing.
- 2 lbs fresh small to medium size sea scallops
- 20 fresh shiitake mushroom caps, stemmed
- 4 fresh lemons, juice and zest of, grated
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon
- sea salt
- black pepper
- 1⁄3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 16 slices pancetta, thin slices, cut into 2-inch pieces or 16 slices regular bacon, cut into 2-inch pieces
Directions See How It's Made
- Using your fingers, pull off and discard the small muscle from the side of any scallop that has one.
- If using sea scallops, cut any large ones in quarters, mediums in half, so that all the pieces are the same size.
- Rinse the scallops under cold water, then blot dry with paper towels.
- Set aside while you prepare marinade.
- Combine the oil, lemon juice, lemon zest and pepper with all herbs in a medium size bowl and mix.
- Add all scallops and shitake mushroom caps and toss to coat.
- Cover and let marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Remove the scallops one at a time and wrap each scallop with a piece of pancetta or bacon.
- Thread the scallops on the skewers placing shitake mushroom cap in between every other scallop until all are complete.
- Preheat grill to high heat when ready to cook and clean and oil the grill grate. Arrange the kebabs on the hot grill and cook until firm and white about 1 to 2 minutes per side.
- Brush the scallops once or twice with remaining marinade before they leave the grill.
- Serve immedeately.