Recipe by Kurada
Yes, i know it sounds odd. Have friends or relatives who liked the popular video game Kingdom Hearts 2? Well, this is a tasty treat they'll definitely enjoy trying :).
Top Review by AdrienV
I have never made a cooked ice-cream batter before, and this was a wonderful introductory recipe. Follow the instructions and don't worry too much about variations like not thick enough (mine was very runny) or poor incorporation of egg whites because these things will work themselves out it the freezing process. I don't know that anyone who is not a fan of KH would seek out this recipe, but they should. This is a perfect cold treat for a hot day. I used 1/2 teaspoon sea salt and it created the perfect salty-sweet taste - *exactly* what I was hoping for! Works well in popsicle molds, too (for the truly authentic KH experience :)
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- sea salt (be careful with this)
- blue food coloring (looks better with it) (optional)
- green food coloring (looks better with it) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Separate the eggs into two good sized bowls.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff.
- Mix the egg yolks and sugar until thick.
- Slowly bring the milk to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Pour the hot milk into yolk/sugar mixture and mix well.
- Pour milk/yolk/sugar mixture back into pot and heat on medium until thicker to make a custard (DON'T LET IT BOIL! also, if you can't get it to a custard thickness,just get it as thick as you can).
- Pour custard in with beaten egg whites and mix well.
- Add sea salt (keep adding salt until it tastes salty sweet, but be careful not to add to much).
- Put mixture in fridge to cool.
- Once cool, add cream and vanilla .
- (Optional) Add 12 drops of blue coloring, and 3 drops of green coloring.
- Freeze, following your ice cream maker’s instructions.
- If you don't have an ice cream maker pour mixture into 1 or 2 metal cake pans and set in freezer. Let sit until edges become firm, then remove and mix. Repeat until uniformly frozen.