1/4 Photos of Sea Salt Dulce De Leche Ice Cream (Ice Cream Maker)
6 hrs 15 mins
Muffin Goddess's Note:
Had to share this after I tried it over the weekend! This one's a bit different than the others posted, due to the addition of toasted pecans (or dark chocolate crunchies, see note), and a sprinkle of sea salt before serving. Adapted from the Gourmet Today cookbook. Cooking time includes the mid-range chilling and freezing times.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a 3 quart heavy-bottomed saucepan, bring milk and cream just to a boil over moderate heat. Remove from the heat and whisk in the dulce de leche until it is completely incorporated into the mixture.
- 2Whisk in the vanilla extract.
- 3Transfer pan to fridge to cool (be sure to put a potholder or trivet under the bottom so you don't crack the glass shelf). Refrigerate uncovered for about an hour, stirring occasionally. After the hour, cover the pan and chill the mixture for 3 to 6 hours, or until very cold.
- 4Freeze the mixture in an ice cream maker (my Cuisinart took ~30 minutes, but follow the instructions for whatever type maker you have). A minute or two before the ice cream has fully firmed up, toss in the mix-in you choose.
- 5Transfer ice cream to an airtight container to ripen for at least 1 hour.
- 6When ready to serve, scoop ice cream into bowls and sprinkle lightly with sea salt (flakes are best, but the coarse-grain sea salt works too). Enjoy!
- 7NOTE: The original recipe calls for the toasted chopped pecans, but I like to use a lesser amount of Valrhona dark chocolate crunch perles that I find at Whole Foods Market instead. I'm sure this would be wonderful with an additional caramel swirl folded in as well, but I didn't have any extra dulce de leche on hand to try that.
Browse Our Top Ice Cream Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Ice Cream Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sea Salt Dulce De Leche Ice Cream (Ice Cream Maker)
Serving Size: 1 (134 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 421.3
- Calories from Fat 366
- Total Fat 40.6 g
- Saturated Fat 17.2 g
- Cholesterol 93.7 mg
- Sodium 75.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 7.0 g
- Protein 6.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
dulce de leche