Prep 35 mins
Cook 6 mins
Don't let the name Ceviche scare you away from trying this recipe. The fish gets cooked!(albeit very shortly) I love the fresh flavors of Ceviche but had a hard time getting my loved ones to eat what they considered to be 'raw fish' (no they dont' eat sushi either, poor things) So I came up with this compromise, that even my 6 year old will eat (sans Jalepeno) I only recently added the salsa which I got from last summers issue of Gourmet (or Bon Apetit, I get them confused) The flavor of the fish gets buttery once grilled, especially when using sea bass, and the salsa adds a nice balance. WE LOVE THIS DISH! Serve with some yellow rice!
- 12 -16 ounces chilean sea bass (or some other firm fleshed fish)
- 1⁄2 cup lime juice
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 jalapeno peppers, minced (deseeded if you don't want as much heat)
- bamboo skewer
- 1 small avocado, diced
- 1 cup cantaloupe, cut into small cubes
- 1⁄2 cup diced red onion
- 1⁄3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- Soak bamboo skewers in water at least one hour prior to grilling.
- Prepare grill on high heat, clean and oil the grill grates, this is important step, don't skip it or you'll have fish stuck all over your grill and none on your plate.
- Cut fish into approx 1&1/2” cubes.
- Combine the next 8 ingredients in a resealable bag.
- Put fish into bag, and push out as much air as possible and seal bag.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- No more than 30-35 minutes or you will taste nothing but the citrus and lose the flavor of the fish.
- While the fish is marinating, GENTLY but thoroughly combine the ingredients for the salsa and refrigerate.
- Remove fish from marinade and thread onto bamboo skewers.
- Grill on high heat 2-1/2 minutes on one side, flip and grill 2-1/2 minutes on the next side.
- DO NOT OVERCOOK.
- You want to sear the outside of the fish, but not allow it to dry out.
- Serve fish kebabs with salsa on the side.