Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is an easy recipe to pull together. If you're being really indulgent you'll want one fish each. But if you have a few side dishes, one fish per two people will be enough for a taste of this treat. We serve it with mashed potatoes (with some of the extra onions mixed in) and green peas.
- 2 whole sea bass, cleaned (about 350g each)
- 1 large white onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 -6 sprigs thyme
- 2 tablespoons honey
- salt and pepper
- olive oil, for drizzling
- Preheat the oven to 200 C (about 400 F).
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan and gently sauté the onions and garlic until soft, about 5-8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, use a sharp knife to score the outside of the fish.
- When the onions are soft, take them off the heat.
- Pull the thyme leaves off the stem and mix in with the onions.
- Season to taste and let cool.
- Smear the honey on the inside of the sea bass, then fill with the onion mixture.
- Use kitchen string to secure the fish.
- Lay the fish in a baking tray and sprinkle over some salt and pepper.
- If you have extra onions you can also set them in the tray.
- Drizzle over the olive oil and bake on the top rack of your oven for 20-25 minutes.
GREAT, I've made this twice the last two days. First day, I served it on a layer of field salad. The other day I put it on the grill and served it with some toasted bread. We enjoyed both variations. For the filling I followed exactly the description and baked it in the oven for 25 minutes. It came out perfect. For the grill I covered the sea bass with some thin slices of bacon and put it on a tray fro grilling, delicious. Sea bass is one of the most delicate fish. It doesn't need much to turn it into something special. So don't overdo it and add to many spices. This recipe is great in its combination of spices. And especially the honey. This gives the filling and the fish some wonderful sweet notes and brings out the different flavours of this fish so well. Try this recipe, you will love. And it is so easy to make, that you can't go wrong. Thanks for sharing this keeper.