4 hrs 30 mins
My sister (SDA) revised the always-icky-looking classic chicken and rice recipe. Had to share it with y'all. Prepared in crockpot instead of oven. Yay for not having to heat up the kitchen! Doubleyay, even! (Easy, MSG-free recipes for homemade Cream Of soups: http://onceamonthmom.com/homemade-cream-of-something-soup/) Use chicken broth instead of water. NO WATER! Don't make me throw canned goods! No matter how much you think it will be okay to use water instead, DUNNA DO IT! Important note: DO be sure to thaw the spinach first and wring out the liquid and not just toss the frozen block into the cpot: that liquid is N to the asty, NASTY! You could also use raw spinach instead of frozen, but tear up or chiffonade the leaves and increase the amount to 1 to 1/4-cup.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 -6 boneless chicken breasts or 4 -6 pork chops
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of celery soup
- 3 -4 cups chicken broth
- 1 (5/8 ounce) package dry onion soup mix (1/2 a package)
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed of liquid
- 1 1/4 cups long grain rice (uncooked)
- 1 -2 tablespoon butter or 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- 11) Brown your meat on both sides in some butter or olive oil, or both,draining them afterwards. Now, you're just browning them up, not fully cooking them, because that'll happen in the crockpot.
- 22) Toss all the canned soups into your crockpot and stir 'em around all casual-like to incorporate each flavor with the others.
- 33) Loosely stir spinach again just to mix it in a little with the soups.
- 44) Add the uncooked rice.
- 55) Layer in your chicken or pork chops over that, single layer if possible, but if it's not, just fit 'em in there however you can.
- 66) Sprinkle dry onion soup mix over the meat. (Homemade onion soup mix, MSG-free: http://www.food.com/recipe/homemade-dry-onion-soup-mix-110331).
- 77) Pour chicken broth into pot now.
- 88) Cover and cook on medium for 4 hours (or low for no more than 6, I'd think), but check for doneness or unforeseen rice drama around 3-1/2 hours and add more chicken broth if necessary, but no more than 1/4 cup or so. This all gets pretty thick when done, so don't let it sit in crockpot for too long after serving everybody or the lingering heat'll make it a gluey, gloppy mess. But you also don't want it RUNNY, thus the additional liquid caveat.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for SDA's Crockpot Chicken (Or Pork) and Rice
Serving Size: 1 (458 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 732.5
- Calories from Fat 271
- Total Fat 30.1 g
- Saturated Fat 9.2 g
- Cholesterol 114.5 mg
- Sodium 2516.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 68.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 44.9 g