Recipe by surfin' chef
This is one of my favorites dish to make...and what my DH calls my "signature dish." It's easy, yummy, and healthy! I loosely based the recipe off instructions on a bottle of Thai Kitchen red curry paste. Rice expressions has an organic frozen short grain rice package that is perfect with this dish. I often sub in pan fried firm tofu instead of the chicken...and certainly you can mix up the veggies with what you have on hand. Enjoy!
Top Review by Dinu
Great! I usually make this red curry with whatever veggies I have at hand (yesterday it was julienned zucchini, carrots, tomatoes, potatoes and onion), really anything works. I sometimes add a tbsp of peanut butter like in massaman curry. Delicious with short grain rice, hubby loves it, so do I!
- 2 tablespoons red curry paste
- 1 (15 ounce) can coconut milk (I use light)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil
- 1⁄4 cup bamboo shoot
- 2 -3 teaspoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup chicken stock
- 1⁄2 cup mushroom
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper
- 1⁄2 green pepper
- 1⁄2 yellow pepper
- 1⁄2 onion (yellow or white)
- 2 chicken breasts (optional)
- 10 ounces brown rice
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium saucepan combine 1/2 to Tbsp Red Curry paste (I like it spicy -- so I use 1 Tbsp) with one can of coconut milk. (I use light coconut milk to save calories/fat).
- Simmer for 5 minutes. Add 1/4 cup fresh basil, 1/4 cup bamboo shoots, 3 tsp Fish Sauce, 2 Tbsp brown sugar, 1/3 cup chicken stock, and 1/2 cup of your favorite mushrooms (I use the Japanese style and shitake). Simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
- While you are simmering -- saute the chopped peppers (1 or 2 inch pieces) and chopped onion in a frying pan or wok lightly covered in olive oil. Fry lightly peppered chicken breasts till cooked through.
- Place sauteed peppers and onions on bowls of rice and spoon curry sauce over rice. You can either use curry sauce to lightly flavor rice or more as a soupy type mixture. I use short grain brown rice -- but any type is fine. Add cut chicken breast or other meat/tofu if desired.