Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
This doesn't have the typical pie crusts that Americans are used to. Instead, it is more like a coffee cake or cobbler. The batter is mixed with the apples and the whole mixture is baked in a pie plate. Much easier than a traditional crusted pie, and a nice change of pace with a delicious topping.
- 118.29 ml all-purpose flour
- 59.14 ml white whole wheat flour
- 59.14 ml finely ground almonds (or another 1/4 cup all-purpose flour)
- 177.44 ml sugar
- 1.23 ml ground cardamom
- 9.85 ml baking powder
- 1.23 ml vanilla
- 1.23 ml almond extract (or another 1/4 tsp vanilla)
- 4 egg whites
- 473.18 ml apples
- 29.58 ml sugar
- 7.39 ml cinnamon
- 1.77 ml ground cardamom (optional)
- Peel and chop the apples, set them aside.
- Mix the flours, sugar, cardamom (optional) and baking powder together; add the egg whites and blend thoroughly.
- The batter will be stiff.
- Fold in the chopped apples.
- Put mixture into a greased pie plate.
- Mix the sugar, cinammon and cardamom together.
- Sprinkle over the top of the apple-batter mixture.
- Bake at 350F for 35 minutes.
- Enjoy! (Always delicious with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream).
the title describes this perfectly- it was delicious and easy to make. we love cardamom and it was perfect with the granny smith apples. my batter was loose actually, i used 8 oz of eggbeater whites and the cooking time was right on. this is a keeper.