Recipe by Teen Baker
This cake is moist and sweet, however not over powering with sweetness. Just the right balance to complement the fresh strawberry flavor and pieces.
Top Review by internetnut
I gave this recipe 5 stars. I made this recipe for Spring 2009 PAC. Yummo! This is so, so, good! I thought it tasted just like it was made from a store bought cake. This was so easy to make! I wish my pictures would have looked better as this looked great! I wasn't sure about the amounts listed in the ingredients as it calls for 1 tsp and 1/2 tsp baking soda but in the directions it call for baking soda and powder, so I added 1 tsp baking powder and 1/2 tsp baking soda. I used Splenda for baking for the sugar. I also couldn't find any 8oz gelatins so I used 2 boxes of sugar free strawberry gelatin. I used frozen strawberries, which I thawed in the microwave. I baked this in a 13x9x2-inch pan for 35 minutes. Overall I will so make this again for sure! Thanks for posting a wonderful recipe! Christine (internetnut)
- 4 egg whites
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter (allow time to soften)
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄3 cups buttermilk (or 1 cup milk and 1/3 cup vinegar) or 1 1⁄3 cups sour milk (or 1 cup milk and 1/3 cup vinegar)
- 1 (8 ounce) box strawberry Jell-O gelatin dessert
- 1⁄2 cup strawberry (frozen or fresh thawed)
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease and lightly flour three 8 1/2-inch round pans or one 13x9x2-inch rectangle pan. Preheat oven to 350.
- Stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and jello. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, with an electric mixer, whip softened butter. Then add sugar and vanilla until well mixed. Add egg whites one at a time, beating well after each addition, then mix in strawberries.
- Then alternately add flour mixture and buttermillk to butter mixture until all ingrediants are mixed well.
- Pour into pans. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes for 8 inch pans and 30 to 35 minutes for 13x9x2 or until a wooden tothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool cakes in pans placed on wire racks for 10 minutes. Remove round cake layers from pans and let cool on a wire rack.
- (Frosting listed under Scrumptious Strawberry Frosting).