Prep 35 mins
Cook 25 mins
This cake is moist and sweet, however not over powering with sweetness. Just the right balance to complement the fresh strawberry flavor and pieces.
- 4 egg whites
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter (allow time to soften)
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄3 cups buttermilk (or 1 cup milk and 1/3 cup vinegar) or 1 1⁄3 cups sour milk (or 1 cup milk and 1/3 cup vinegar)
- 1 (8 ounce) box strawberry Jell-O gelatin dessert
- 1⁄2 cup strawberry (frozen or fresh thawed)
- Grease and lightly flour three 8 1/2-inch round pans or one 13x9x2-inch rectangle pan. Preheat oven to 350.
- Stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and jello. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, with an electric mixer, whip softened butter. Then add sugar and vanilla until well mixed. Add egg whites one at a time, beating well after each addition, then mix in strawberries.
- Then alternately add flour mixture and buttermillk to butter mixture until all ingrediants are mixed well.
- Pour into pans. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes for 8 inch pans and 30 to 35 minutes for 13x9x2 or until a wooden tothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool cakes in pans placed on wire racks for 10 minutes. Remove round cake layers from pans and let cool on a wire rack.
- (Frosting listed under Scrumptious Strawberry Frosting).
I gave this recipe 5 stars. I made this recipe for Spring 2009 PAC. Yummo! This is so, so, good! I thought it tasted just like it was made from a store bought cake. This was so easy to make! I wish my pictures would have looked better as this looked great! I wasn't sure about the amounts listed in the ingredients as it calls for 1 tsp and 1/2 tsp baking soda but in the directions it call for baking soda and powder, so I added 1 tsp baking powder and 1/2 tsp baking soda. I used Splenda for baking for the sugar. I also couldn't find any 8oz gelatins so I used 2 boxes of sugar free strawberry gelatin. I used frozen strawberries, which I thawed in the microwave. I baked this in a 13x9x2-inch pan for 35 minutes. Overall I will so make this again for sure! Thanks for posting a wonderful recipe! Christine (internetnut)