Prep 1 hr
Cook 20 mins
Soft, tender fish that melts in your mouth covered with a delicate sauce. All chinese flavors combined to bring you a fresh dish.
- 1 kg whole grouper
- 3 cm piece ginger (peeled and sliced)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 spring onions, julliened
- 1 bunch coriander
- 3 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- Wash and peel the ginger by using a peeler or a knife; just as you would with a carrot. Slice it diagonally or transversally. Leave aside.
- Wash the spring onions and shake off the excess water. Then cut them julliene style. It they are too thin and difficult to julienne, then finely slice them in a diagonal direction. Leave aside.
- Wash the coriander and shake off the excess. Roughly chop them and leave aside.
- The fish should be as fresh as possible and thoroughly scaled. Even though they would do this at the fish shop, you should make sure by yourself.
- Use a knife to remove any scales that might be left (always from tail to head – opposite to the scales direction), paying special attention to the head and the areas near the fins.
- Use kitchen shears to trim the fins. Leave the tail whole for presentation purposes. Check the cavity and the gills and remove any leftovers.
- Wash and shake off the excess water.
- Make a diagonal cut on each side of the fish. This will help to cook the fish evenly and it will be easier to check if it is done.
- Rub the salt on the fish.
- Place half of the ginger in a heat-proof dish, put the fish on top and then cover with the remaining ginger.
- Use a wok or a saucepan big enough to hold your heat-proof dish. Place a metal steam rack and add water. Bring to a boil, then place your heat-proof dish with the fish and put the lid on.
- Steam for about 15-20 minutes, until the fish is done. You can look into the diagonal cut and the flesh should be opaque all the way to the bone.
- Meanwhile, when the fish is nearly done, put the oil in a frying pan over high heat.
- Carefully remove the heat-proof dish (remember that it will be very hot). Drain the liquid, lift your fish with care and place in an elongated presentation plate, which should be heat-proof too. Remove the ginger.
- Sprinkle the spring onions and coriander on top and pour the soy sauce all over.
- When the oil is smoking hot, carefully pour it over the fish. Be very careful, while handling the hot oil.
- Serve hot.