Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is from USA Weekend and it's an Ellie Krieger recipe.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1⁄2 cups tomato sauce, no-salt-added
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 8 whole wheat hamburger buns
- Brown the meat and onion in a large skillet over medium heat for 5 minutes, breaking up the meat into crumbles as it cooks. Pour out the drippings.
- Add the garlic, jalapeno and bell pepper and cook 5 minutes more, stirring occasionally. Stir in the rest of the ingredients; reduce to low heat and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Scoop a portion of the mixture onto each bun and serve.