Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe makes a melt-in-your mouth cake, complimented by a cider flavored caramel that adds a delicious combination of rich, flavorful bliss! This recipe is adapted from Mandy's Recipe Box and has been slightly modified.
- 236.59 ml sugar
- 354.88 ml flour
- 7.39 ml baking powder
- 7.39 ml baking soda
- 7.39 ml cinnamon
- 2.46 ml salt
- 177.44 ml oil
- 425.24 g canned pumpkin
- 2 whole eggs
- 236.59 ml chocolate chips, with a light coating of flour, which helps chips not sink to the bottom of the cake during cooking
For the Apple Cider Caramel Topping
- 236.59 ml brown sugar
- 29.58 ml cornstarch
- 314.66 ml apple cider or 314.66 ml apple juice, with a dash of Cinnamon and nutmeg
- 59.16 ml heavy cream or 59.16 ml milk
- 29.58 ml butter
- 1.23 ml salt (may add more based on your taste)
- Combine the first six ingredients. Add oil, pumpkin and eggs. Whisk or mix until blended. If you choose to put chocolate chips in (which I recommend) fold these in now. Pour the mixture into a greased 9 ×13 pan. Bake at 325 Fahrenheit for 30 minutes (give or take a few minutes). Use a toothpick and poke the middle of the cake to ensure the toothpick comes out clean; if it does, its ready to come out of the oven! The cake will stay together better when cutting and serving it you allow the cake to cool for approximately an hour or more. When ready to serve, smother each piece in the warm caramel topping.
- Caramel Topping:.
- In a saucepan, whisk brown sugar and cornstarch; do not add liquid until both ingredients are thoroughly mixed. Add cider and stir in the cream, butter, and salt. Cook over medium-high heat, whisking constantly, until large bubbles form around the edge of the saucepan; which may take approximately 3 minutes. Reduce heat to low and allow to thicken; which may take approximately 3 minutes as well.
- This melt-in-your-mouth dessert can also be paired with a mound of (real) whipping cream or ice cream. Enjoy!