Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is my take on the classic carrot cake..I cheat and use Betty Crocker Frosting / Icing because my husband is always so desperate for a piece! When I made this in the US I substituted pumpkin spice for the mixed spice in the UK...seemed like the same mix!
- 225 g carrots, peeled and grated
- 200 g self-raising flour
- 2 teaspoons mixed spice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 175 g dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 150 ml sunflower oil
- 1 orange, zest of, grated
- 100 g sultanas
- 50 g desiccated coconut
- 50 g pecan nuts, toasted and chopped
For the syrup glaze
- 1 small orange, juice of
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 ounces dark brown sugar
- 1 (12 ounce) containerbetty crocker butter vanilla frosting
- 2 (8 inch) cake tins lined with baking parchment paper
- Heat the oven to 180°C.
- Combine the oil, eggs and sugar and whisk until sugar dissolved.
- Sift the flour, mixed spice and cinnamon and stir in .
- Add all the other ingredients and combine.
- Pour equal amounts into each cake tin and put in the oven for about 30 minutes…you are looking for a springy but firm feeling. Put a skewer in to check cooked through.
- Melt the sugar and juices together, pierce each of the cakes with a skewer, and pour the syrup over.
- Leave to cool (I leave in the fridge overnight) Then sandwich the cakes together with half the icing and cover the top with the rest.
- You can toast some coconut for the top for decoration--delicious!