This is a corn chowder recipe I got from a cooking class I took. I thought it was amazing! Vegetable stock may be used instead of chicken stock. Creamed corn may be added to intensify the flavour. Cooking times are approximate.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 ounces salt pork, rind removed and diced into 1/2 inch cubes
- 4 ounces clarified butter
- 6 ounces onions, peeled and diced
- 8 ounces celery, washed and diced
- 4 ounces all-purpose flour
- 2 quarts white chicken stock, heated to a boil
- 1 lb corn kernels, fresh or 1 lb frozen corn kernels
- 8 ounces potatoes, washed, peeled, and diced into 1/2 inch cubes
- white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 8 ounces heavy cream or 8 ounces light cream
- 2 ounces chopped fresh parsley
- 1In a large stock pot, render the pork with a small amount of butter. Once rendered, remove the pork from the pan, add the rest of the butter and saute the onions and celery.
- 2Once the onions are translucent, dust with flour and cook for 5 minutes. Gradually whisk in the boiling chicken stock. Add the corn, heat to a boil and skim off any fat or scum on top.
- 3Reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes or until well flavoured.
- 4Add potatoes to the soup.
- 5Temper the cream and add the the chowder. Keep the chowder at 140°F and adjust seasonings to taste. Garnish with fresh chopped parsley.
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Scrumptious Corn Chowder
Serving Size: 1 (404 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 386.8
- Calories from Fat 229
- Total Fat 25.4 g
- Saturated Fat 13.7 g
- Cholesterol 67.6 mg
- Sodium 390.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 4.4 g
- Protein 9.2 g