Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
These cheese straws, from "Tee Time at the Masters" are the best I have tasted. They are simple to make, but best results are obtained by using a cookie press. These look great standing in a very clean clay flowerpot for presentation. This makes a whole lot. I'm guessing at the amount.
- 1 lb sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 lb corn oil margarine (I use Fleischman's)
- 4 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt (several dashes)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine cheese and margarine in a large bowl and cream thoroughly. Add remaining ingredients and blend well.
- Outfit your cookie press with the star plate. Squeeze the dough through the press in fairly straight lines onto ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake cheese straws in preheated oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until firm and only beginning to brown. Cheese Straws freeze beautifully.