Recipe by strawberrybird
Based on a America's Test Kitchen recipe, these bran muffins are the most moist yummy, healthy recipe I've ever made.
- 1 cup mixed dried fruit (raisins, cranberries, blueberries, cherries, etc.)
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 cup kellogg's bran buds cereal, finely ground
- 1 1⁄4 cups kellogg's bran buds cereal
- 2⁄3 cup light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup applesauce
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 16 ounces low-fat sour cream
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup shredded coconut
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F Lightly coat a 12-cup muffin tin with cooking spray.
- Microwave the raisins and 1 tsp water in a covered bowl for 1 minute. Set aside, covered until needed.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the sugar, molasses, whole egg, egg yolk, and vanilla until smooth. Whisk in the melted butter, sour cream, apple sauce, water, processed bran, and unprocessed bran. Let sit about 5 minutes until bran cereal is moistened.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the cereal mixture and combined until just combined. Folded in raisins and coconut.
- Using a 1/3-cup measure coated in cooking spray, portion the batter into the muffin cups.
- Bake 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with just a few crumbs attached.
- Let the muffins cool in the pan 5-10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool. Serve warm.