Prep 45 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is my husband's favorite dessert! It sounds like a lengthy process, but is easy to make and very yummy! I use a store purchased chocolate pie crust most of the time, but have the ingredients for the crust in case you want to home make it.
- 118.29 ml unsalted butter
- 85.04 g semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 354.88 ml chocolate wafer cookies
Vanilla Pastry Cream
- 354.88 ml half-and-half
- 118.29 ml sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg yolk
- 29.58 ml flour
- 9.85 ml vanilla extract
- 118.29 ml whipping cream
- 14.79 ml unsalted butter
- 113.39 g semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 2.46 ml vanilla extract
- 4 bananas, ripe
- For pastry cream:.
- Bring half and half to simmer in heavy medium saucepan.
- Whisk sugar, eggs, yolk and flour in medium bowl to blend.
- Gradually whisk in hot half and half.
- Transfer to saucepan.
- Whisk over medium heat until mixture thickens and comes to a boil, about 5 minutes.
- Boil 1 minute.
- Pour into medium bowl.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Press plastic wrap onto surface of pastry cream. Cover; chill until cold about 4 hours. Can be made 1 day ahead and kept chilled.
- For crust:.
- Butter 9-inch diameter glass pie dish.
- Stir butter and chocolate in heavy small saucepan over low heat until smooth.
- Mix in cookie crumbs.
- Press into bottom and sides of pie dish.
- Chill 30 minutes, or until firm.
- To make ganache:.
- Heat cream and butter in medium saucepan over medium heat until mixture is hot, but do not boil.
- Remove from heat; add chocolate and vanilla.
- Whisk until smooth.
- Reserve 2 tablespoons chocolate ganache in small bowl at room temperature; pour remainder over crust.
- Chill crust until ganache is firm, about 30 minutes.
- To complete pie:.
- Thinly slice 3 bananas and arrange them over the chocolate ganache.
- Whisk vanilla pastry cream until smooth.
- Spread pastry cream evenly over bananas.
- Drizzle reserved ganache over top; draw toothpick through cream and drizzle to marbelize.
- Refrigerate until pastry cream is set; about 3 hours. (Can be made 1 day ahead and kept refrigerated).
- Garish pie with banana slices and French Vanilla Cool Whip piped on with a star tip.
LOVED IT! Hubby, who rarely goes on about a recipe, said "Wow, this is good!" It was easy to make too. I halved the recipe and used my half-size pie plate. The only change I made was to add a pinch of salt to the vanilla pastry cream. Thank you for posting! Made for Please Review My Recipe, please see my rating system as I rate tougher than most.