1/2 Photos of Scrumptious Black-Bottom Banana Cream Pie
3 hrs 45 mins
This is my husband's favorite dessert! It sounds like a lengthy process, but is easy to make and very yummy! I use a store purchased chocolate pie crust most of the time, but have the ingredients for the crust in case you want to home make it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 118.29 ml unsalted butter
- 85.04 g semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 354.88 ml chocolate wafer cookies
Vanilla Pastry Cream
- 354.88 ml half-and-half
- 118.29 ml sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg yolk
- 29.58 ml flour
- 9.85 ml vanilla extract
- 118.29 ml whipping cream
- 14.79 ml unsalted butter
- 113.39 g semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 2.46 ml vanilla extract
- 4 bananas, ripe
- 1For pastry cream:.
- 2Bring half and half to simmer in heavy medium saucepan.
- 3Whisk sugar, eggs, yolk and flour in medium bowl to blend.
- 4Gradually whisk in hot half and half.
- 5Transfer to saucepan.
- 6Whisk over medium heat until mixture thickens and comes to a boil, about 5 minutes.
- 7Boil 1 minute.
- 8Pour into medium bowl.
- 9Stir in vanilla.
- 10Press plastic wrap onto surface of pastry cream. Cover; chill until cold about 4 hours. Can be made 1 day ahead and kept chilled.
- 11For crust:.
- 12Butter 9-inch diameter glass pie dish.
- 13Stir butter and chocolate in heavy small saucepan over low heat until smooth.
- 14Mix in cookie crumbs.
- 15Press into bottom and sides of pie dish.
- 16Chill 30 minutes, or until firm.
- 17To make ganache:.
- 18Heat cream and butter in medium saucepan over medium heat until mixture is hot, but do not boil.
- 19Remove from heat; add chocolate and vanilla.
- 20Whisk until smooth.
- 21Reserve 2 tablespoons chocolate ganache in small bowl at room temperature; pour remainder over crust.
- 22Chill crust until ganache is firm, about 30 minutes.
- 23To complete pie:.
- 24Thinly slice 3 bananas and arrange them over the chocolate ganache.
- 25Whisk vanilla pastry cream until smooth.
- 26Spread pastry cream evenly over bananas.
- 27Drizzle reserved ganache over top; draw toothpick through cream and drizzle to marbelize.
- 28Refrigerate until pastry cream is set; about 3 hours. (Can be made 1 day ahead and kept refrigerated).
- 29Garish pie with banana slices and French Vanilla Cool Whip piped on with a star tip.
Browse Our Top Pies and Tarts Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pies and Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Scrumptious Black-Bottom Banana Cream Pie
Serving Size: 1 (212 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 576.9
- Calories from Fat 374
- Total Fat 41.6 g
- Saturated Fat 24.4 g
- Cholesterol 151.0 mg
- Sodium 173.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 52.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.4 g
- Sugars 26.5 g
- Protein 9.1 g