Recipe by Cook4_6
This is my husband's favorite dessert! It sounds like a lengthy process, but is easy to make and very yummy! I use a store purchased chocolate pie crust most of the time, but have the ingredients for the crust in case you want to home make it.
Top Review by puppitypup
LOVED IT! Hubby, who rarely goes on about a recipe, said "Wow, this is good!" It was easy to make too. I halved the recipe and used my half-size pie plate. The only change I made was to add a pinch of salt to the vanilla pastry cream. Thank you for posting! Made for Please Review My Recipe, please see my rating system as I rate tougher than most.
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups chocolate wafer cookies
Vanilla Pastry Cream
- 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 bananas, ripe
Directions See How It's Made
- For pastry cream:.
- Bring half and half to simmer in heavy medium saucepan.
- Whisk sugar, eggs, yolk and flour in medium bowl to blend.
- Gradually whisk in hot half and half.
- Transfer to saucepan.
- Whisk over medium heat until mixture thickens and comes to a boil, about 5 minutes.
- Boil 1 minute.
- Pour into medium bowl.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Press plastic wrap onto surface of pastry cream. Cover; chill until cold about 4 hours. Can be made 1 day ahead and kept chilled.
- For crust:.
- Butter 9-inch diameter glass pie dish.
- Stir butter and chocolate in heavy small saucepan over low heat until smooth.
- Mix in cookie crumbs.
- Press into bottom and sides of pie dish.
- Chill 30 minutes, or until firm.
- To make ganache:.
- Heat cream and butter in medium saucepan over medium heat until mixture is hot, but do not boil.
- Remove from heat; add chocolate and vanilla.
- Whisk until smooth.
- Reserve 2 tablespoons chocolate ganache in small bowl at room temperature; pour remainder over crust.
- Chill crust until ganache is firm, about 30 minutes.
- To complete pie:.
- Thinly slice 3 bananas and arrange them over the chocolate ganache.
- Whisk vanilla pastry cream until smooth.
- Spread pastry cream evenly over bananas.
- Drizzle reserved ganache over top; draw toothpick through cream and drizzle to marbelize.
- Refrigerate until pastry cream is set; about 3 hours. (Can be made 1 day ahead and kept refrigerated).
- Garish pie with banana slices and French Vanilla Cool Whip piped on with a star tip.