Recipe by Tina and Dave
The 3 of us ate half of this cake in one go! That's why I called it scrummy! Do make the lemon frosting as the contrast of lemon with the richness of banana and ginger is great! I tweaked this recipe from an Australian Women's Weekly one. Would love to hear what you think!
Top Review by A Good Thing
This cake was yummy and I especially liked the lemon frosting. It made a nice contrast to the other flavors. I used the glazed ginger on top and it was a nice touch. Made for PAC 2007. Thanks Tina and Dave.
- 90 g butter
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup or 2 tablespoons honey
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 bananas, mashed
- 1 1⁄2 cups self-rising flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon milk
- lemon frosting
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 30 g butter (I used less)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, approx
- 1⁄4 cup diced glace ginger (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease and line a 20cm ring pan (I used an ordinary round one).
- Cream butter, syrup and butter until fluffy and light (use an electric mixer if you have one).
- Add egg, mix well, then add the mashed banana.
- Sift in the dry ingredients and add the milk. Stir well.
- Pour mix into the pan and bake for about 45 mins at 180c, 350f, gas mark 4.
- Let it stand in the pan for about 5 mins before putting onto a wire rack to cool.
- Spread frosting onto cold cake, and sprinkle ginger over if you fancy!
- Lemon Frosting: Mix powdered sugar and butter with enough lemon juice to make it spreadable. Do taste it before spreading as you may want a touch more lemon!