Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
That's right, vegan brownies that actually taste GOOD. What's more, they don't involve a bunch of ridiculous health food store ingredients and they're super quick to make. Mmmm...tasty easy moist healthy brownies. I don't know about you, but I'm sold! (And I'm not even vegan)
- 236.59 ml unsweetened applesauce
- 118.29 ml raw sugar
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 177.44 ml unbleached white flour
- 78.07 ml cocoa powder
- 9.85 ml baking powder
- 2.46 ml baking soda
- 2.46 ml salt
- 118.29 ml semisweet vegan chocolate chips
- 78.07 ml walnuts (optional)
- 0.25 ml cinnamon (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 and lightly spray or oil an 8 x 8 baking pan.
- Mix applesauce, sugar, and vanilla in a medium bowl. In another bowl, whisk flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt (and cinnamon if using) together.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the applesauce mixture. Mix until just combined. Gently fold in chocolate chips (and walnuts if using).
- Spread in prepared pan and bake 25-30 min, until center is firm and not sticky. Cool completely before slicing.
These brownies are awesome; they have become a staple for me to make for parties, work, edible gifts, etc.
Obviously great for vegans, but my omnivore friends always ask for the recipe, too! So easy, and amazing texture...
One tip: I leave these (covered) for at least 12 hours (preferable a day in advance) before serving, so they develop a particularly moist, chewy texture, but also because the apple sauce/puree tends to need a few hours to settle in and not give it a strong taste.
They are definitely perfection after 12 hours, though.
This recipe did not work out for me. The texture was gummy and the consistency was too cakey. I was making them for friends and I couldn't even give them to anyone b/c they ABSOLUTELY tasted like "healthy" brownies and they completely fell apart when I cut them up. Next time I am going to go for the full fat gooey brownies, which I know everyone will love:)
These were the most disgusting brownies EVER. I thought the chocolate would cover up the taste of the applesauce, but it still came through. The texture was all wrong, they were slimey and rubbery. Don't waste your time with this.
Also, just because it has appleasauce in it doesn't mean it's healthy.