Recipe by sofie-a-toast
I missed this bread pudding so much when I left college - famous in my dining hall. Scripps just posted the recipe much to my delight! So good my college friends actually request this for their birthday. I especially love this with challah. Note this originally had self saucing in the title, but that was a mistake. This pudding is absolutely delicious, but not self saucing! Enjoy :)
Top Review by Mami J
This was so good! I made half the amount, and now I regret it. I let it rest for about 3 hours and then I baked it. Maybe next time I'll add some chocolate sauce on top, and there will be a next time! Thank you for sharing! Made for CQ '16.
- 10 cups bread (chopped or broken in 1 inch cubes)
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 4 ounces white chocolate, chopped
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄4 cup plus 2 tbl sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups whipping cream
- 1⁄2 cup milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Place chopped bread, chocolates in bowl. In another bowl add eggs and mix well. Add 1/4 cup sugar, vanilla, 1 cup whipping cream and milk. Mix until well blended. Pour over bread mixture and let stand 1 hour to overnight. The longer you leave to soak before baking, the creamier the pudding will be.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Pour mixture into a well greased pan, pour remaining cream on top and then sprinkle with the 2 tbl sugar. Bake for 45 minutes or until custard is set and its lightly browned and bubbly.