Prep 1 hr
Cook 0 mins
A Newfoundland recipe made with "screech" rum...
- 1 cup gingersnaps, crushed finely
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter
- 1 (14 ounce) can evaporated milk, chilled in a shallow dish until slushy at the edges
- 2 tablespoons gelatin
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 1⁄4 cup screech rum
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix the gingersnaps and the butter and press into a pie pan.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Soften the gelatin in 1/4 c milk.
- In the top of a double boiler, mix the sugar, gelatin mixture, remaining milkand egg yolks until well blended.
- Cook over boiling water until mixture is slightly thickened.
- Melt 2 oz chocolate and mix into the gelatin mixture.
- Chill until syrupy.
- Whip evaporated milk until thick.
- Fold Evaporated milk, rum and vanilla into the gelatin mixture.
- Pour into pie shell and chill thoroughly.
- Whip cream and sweeten with 1/4 c sugar.
- Spread over pie.
- Shave the remaining chocolate into curls and sprinkle on top.