Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This chocolate-lover's delight comes out of the oven with a cake-like layer floating on rich sauce. Very decadent, we recommend you serve it with whipped cream. Also, we have made it with maple sugar instead of refined sugars, and coconut milk, it came out just as well
- 1 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 7 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder (divided)
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups boiling water
- Oven: 350 degrees.
- Mix together the flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, and 3 tablespoons of cocoa powder.
- Add melted butter and milk. Stir it up nicely and pour into a buttered 2 quart casserole dish.
- Combine the cup of brown sugar with the remaining 4 tablespoons of cocoa powder, till crumbly, then sprinkle evenly over the batter in the casserole.
- Pour the boiling water over the chocolate and brown sugar, evenly covering the surface.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes, and serve with whipped cream.