Prep 3 hrs
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This pie has an old fashion look and taste to it because I use a fresh pumpkin not pumpkin from the can. I make this recipe myself because I like squash and have always liked the smell of the jack-o-lantern as a child. I have also used an acorn squash. This is for the person who likes to "putter" in the kitchen. Yes, it's time consuming. This recipe will make one pie plus one quart pumpkin custard see directions.
- 1 small fresh pumpkin, smaller is better, about 8-12 inches tall. 2 cups finished pumpkin per pie
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 3 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg, if desired
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves, if desired
- 1 (9 inch) deep dish pie shells
- Wash pumpkin, remove seeds,place in bowl and set aside,(more on seeds later).
- cut pumpkin into pieces small enough to fit into metal colander, or veggie steamer, place into large enough pot so colander fits into it, fill bottom with water (to your second knuckle) put tight lid on pot and bring to boil. When water is boiling reduce to a hard simmer. Fork test for doneness after 1/2 hour, check water level. Repeat every 15-20 minute until done-like your boiled potatoes.
- Drain water carefully, with clamped on lid and potholders.
- Set aside to cool. When cool, place skin side in palm of hand and remove pulp with spoon, spoon into bowl.
- If you want puree type pumpkin, put through sieve, food mill, blender, or food processor. I like mine using the hand potato masher, mashed well.
- Measure out 2 cups pumpkin for pie, put into bowl. Place the rest into freezer containers for later (2 cups for pies) pies and bread or cookies, or as a side veggie.
- Add in bowl sugar, salt, spices, eggs. Mix then carefully add milk and stir.
- Pour into pie shell, foil edges, and place on foiled, cookie sheet and bake 350°F for 50-60 minutes. Give knife clean test. If not clean, bake longer.
- Left over pumpkin pie mix I place into a greased 1 qt.oven proof dish and bake in a water bath like, custard.
- Pumpkin seeds keep the kids busy, let them clean them, do not worry about the strings this is there project. Soak over night in salt water. Heat oven to 300°F; melt some butter (2-3 tsp) on cookie sheet in oven. Place drained seeds on sheet and add pumpkin pie spices and sugar or cinnamon and sugar to taste. Stir every so often- 15-20 minutes, they will stick together, just mash out with your pancake flipper. After about 30-45 minutes they should be done. Give them the "crispy" test. Careful--the hot sugar will burn your fingers.
Make life a whole lot easier. Cut your pumpkin or squash in half. Take the seeds out and turn it cut side down in a foil lined baking pan. Cook for 30 minutes at 350 degrees. when cooled scrape the pumpkin pulp out of the shell. No straining or draing and your hands won't be blistered and cramping when you are done.
Very good, and very easy. I even made the custard at the same time while I was cooking the pie on a different rack. The only thing I would do differently next time is reduce or omit the cloves... the clove flavor was a bit too strong for me.
Awesome pumpkin pie! I've never been a fan of pumpkin, but it turned out great, and I ate almost the whole pie over the following few days. I was a bit scared when I first took the pie out of the oven because it was still very liquidy, but it firmed up as it cooled in the refrigerator. This recipe is a keeper...Thanks!