Recipe by shinynickel
Boiled chicken, real cheese, fresh broccoli, carrots celery, onion...I have been working on this recipe for years. My husband had his Gull Bladder taken out a few years back and I forced him into a healthy eating style. Tips: Chicken may be boiled the day before and broth may stored seperate from chicken in refrigerator. The work is definently worth the enjoyment of casserole.
Top Review by berry271
Made this today with some modifications. Switched in Wehani rice instead of the white, which upped the heath factor, but I takes longer to cook. To make the casserole, I cooked the rice and steamed the veggies. Then mixed it all together with the chicken. I didn't add any butter (besides while cooking the rice). I topped it with American cheese slices and just baked it uncovered for the 20 minutes. I prepped a second casserole and put that in the freezer. To cook that I will thaw it completely and bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Turned out well. The broccoli broke down probably more than it would have if I had prepared as stated, but the flavor was good and I like that it didn't use cream soup but still had a bit of creaminess with the cheese. The carrots, celery and onion were also a nice addition.
- 1 whole chicken
- 2 cups white rice, uncooked
- 1 1⁄2 cups mild cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 fresh carrots, peeled and diced
- 3 -4 celery ribs, diced
- 2 bunches fresh broccoli, chopped
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1⁄2 tablespoon parsley
- 1⁄2 cup real sweet creamy butter
- sea salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Submerge whole, cleaned chicken in water about halfway. Add sea salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer about an hour or until chicken is done.
- Remove chicken from pot and onto a large cutting board saving broth. Let cool until you can handle with clean hands. When cooled, seperate and chop or tear chicken into desired size pieces.
- Cool chicken broth until a thin film covers the top. Spoon off film and add uncooked rice. Boil rice in broth for about 5-8 minutes. Rice will not be done. Do not drain broth.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Set all prepared veggies and parsley into large casserole dish. Add cooked chicken and distribute butter over top. You may add more butter taste, or you may not use it all.
- Cover in desired amount of salt and pepper. Stir in hot broth and rice until mixture becomes colorful.
- Evenly distribute cheese over top. Cover and bake about an hour. Uncover and bake another 15-20 minutes . Let cool 10-15 minute Enjoy!