Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 72 hrs
Cook 30 mins
This is from Good Eats with Alton Brown.
Make and share this Scrap Iron Chef's Bacon (Homemade Bacon) recipe from Food.com.
- In a large non-reactive pot, bring half the water, 1 cup of sugar, salt, and 8 ounces molasses to a boil.
- Stir to dissolve the sugar.
- Pour into a large container with the remaining water, and the apple cider.
- Place in the refrigerator and cool to 40 degrees F.
- Press the black pepper into the pork belly.
- Once the brine has cooled place the peppered pork belly into the mixture until completely submerged.
- Refrigerate for three days.
- After three days have passed, remove the pork from the brine and pat dry with paper towels.
- Lay on a rack over a sheet pan and place in front of a fan for 1 hour to form a pellicle.
- Lay the pork in the protein box of a cold smoker and smoke for 4 to 6 hours.
- Chill the meat in the freezer for 1 hour to stiffen for easy slicing into strips of bacon.
- Slice what you need and keep the remainder in a freezer safe bag in the refrigerator or freezer.
- Place the strips of bacon onto a sheet pan fitted with a rack and place into a cold oven.
- Turn the oven to 400 degrees F and cook for about 12 to 15 minutes, depending on how crispy you like your bacon.
- Remove from rack and drain on paper towels.
Great bacon! Did not use molasses, water or vinegar. I used brown sugar and the rest, wrapped in a trash bag for 3 days turning daily and cold smoked @ 100 degrees over maple wood for 3 hours. Remember this bacon must be cooked before consuming. It is nice to not have to eat chemicals as you do with store bought.
100 stars - this recipe rocks. We raise our own pork on our hobby farm and have always taken our fresh slabs to the professionals but now we the best recipe in the world. Guests just happen to drop by at the moment we were frying some up for taste test and everyone swears it's the best darn bacon they've tasted and the recipe is going home with them.
what a great idea mate