Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
- 1 baguette
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 lb sliced ham (deli-sliced) or 1⁄2 lb turkey (deli-sliced) or 1⁄2 lb pastrami (deli-sliced) or 1⁄2 lb corned beef (deli-sliced)
- 8 large eggs
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 fluid ounce milk (a splash)
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- fresh ground black pepper
- 4 slices swiss cheese (halved lengthwise to fit bread)
- chopped fresh chives or chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Preheat oven to 200°; crisp the bread in the low oven, split it lengthwise and hollow it out.
- Cut each bread in half again, across, making 4 boats; switch the broiler on.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over moderate heat; add the butter and let it melt.
- Add in the meat and cook for 3 minutes or until brown at the edges, separate the pieces.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs with a splash of milk, the hot sauce, salt, and pepper; add to the skillet w/the meat; scramble, keeping the eggs a little soft.
- Divide the eggs among the bread and cover with the cheese; melt the cheese under the broiler; take sandwiches out as soon as the cheese softens and melts.
- Garnish with chopped chives or parsley.