Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
Adopted 8/17/06 Recipe by Bryanna Clark Grogan. Note: Do not use waterpacked tofu. Also do not use less than Silken firm.
- 4 ounces extra-firm silken tofu
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1⁄8 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄8 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 pinch garlic powder
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Crumble tofu with your fingers.
- Combine with nutritional yeast.
- Mix together soy sauce, turmeric, onion powder and garlic powder; add to tofu mixture.
- Spray a nonstick skillet with cooking spray.
- Add tofu mixture to skillet.
- Cook over medium to high heat, turning with an egg turner or spatula, for several minutes.
- Add salt and pepper.
- VARIATION: If desired, you can make Vegetable Scrambled Tofu.
- Before adding tofu to the skillet, saute 2 sliced mushrooms, 1 T chopped onion and 1 T chopped green pepper.
- Add tofu and continue as above.
- To add additional color use a bit more tumeric. It is what supplies the color.
This turned out very well. I must admit that I'm one of those that uses a recipe as a general guideline so I didn't use the onion/garlic powder. Instead, I sautéed some chopped onion and minced garlic along with some other veggies I had on hand and diced (zucchini, broccoli, carrots). It came out wonderfully and I'm sure it would be wonderful as written as well. Texture was great and the flavors blended evenly throughout. This recipe is very easy to make. I served this along with several other brunch type items in a brunch themed dinner I made for several friends tonight. It was a hit. A versatile recipe that I recommend highly!
We tried this ages ago without the nutritional yeast, and I hated it. We tried this again today, with the yeast, making 3 batches, decreasing the amount of the yeast each time. It seems to us that 1 tsp. with 4 oz. of tofu works best. Also, we left out the water; silken is moist enough. Next time, we'll do this with the veggies.
I didn't have silken tofu, so I used extra firm and drained it for about 30 minutes. I doubled the amount of onion and garlic powder and added some spike seasoning. I sauteed red and green bells, mushrooms along with green onions before adding the tofu to the skillet. I thought it was very good. A very nice substitute for eggs, for the vegans in the house. Oh ya, I added a dash of frank's hot sauce, which is good on so many things.