Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
you can use whichever vegetables you want. I've never made this, i'm posting for safe-keeping.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium sized yellow onion, chopped into 1/2-inch chunks
- 2 cups thinly sliced cremini mushrooms
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb extra firm tofu, drained
- 1⁄4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 1 carrot, peeled (optional)
For the Spice Blend
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed with your fingers
- 1 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt
- heat the oil in a skillet over med/high heat.
- saute the onions for 3 min., until softened; add the mushrooms, saute for 5 minutes; add the garlic, saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the spice blend and mix it up for 15 seconds or so.
- Add 1/4 cup of water to deglaze the pan, scraping the bottom to get the spices and garlic.
- crumble in the tofu and mix well. don't crush the tofu, just kind of lift it and mix it around. you want it to remain chunky. let cook for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally and adding splashes of water if necessary to keep it from sticking too much. lower the heat if you find that the tofu is sticking.
- Add the lemon juice.
- Add the nutritional yeast and mix it up. If the mix. is sticking to the pan, add splashes of water. the moistness really depends on how much waer the tofu was retaining before you added it.
- Grate the carrot into the tofu mixture and fold.