Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a wonderful vegetarian dish with a great flavor. The cheese can be omitted, and other vegetables such as green peppers or mushrooms can be added. It's great served with hot bran muffins.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 bunch green onion, chopped
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) canpeeled and diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 (12 ounce) package firm silken tofu, drained and mashed
- ground turmeric
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Heat olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat, and saute green onions until tender.
- Stir in tomatoes with juice and mashed tofu.
- Season with salt, pepper, and turmeric. Reduce heat, and simmer until heated through.
- Sprinkle with Cheddar cheese to serve.
this was delicious. I had to use onion powder as well. and didn't have any tomatoes on hand, so I used spaghetti sauce (about 3 or 4 Tbs). Also we were out of cheddar cheese, so I used mozzarella.
This was a very plesant surprise. I was out of onion, so I used onion powder, and I added some leftover kidney beans to it, and it was a wonderful lunch!