Recipe by PaulaG
This is a wonderful change of pace for breakfast. Serve with fresh fruit and muffins.
Top Review by Canadian in Minnesota
This is a fantastic high protein, low fat lunch option! I am a big cilantro fan, so I added more. I also have experimented with this recipe and tried goat cheese instead of cheddar and added spinach along with the tomatoes. Still awesome!
- 4 large eggs or 4 large egg substitute
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup chopped sweet onion (I use Vidalia)
- 1 medium plum tomato, diced
- 2 -4 tablespoons chopped cilantro, depending upon personal taste
- kosher salt
- black pepper, freshly ground
- 1⁄4 cup coarsely shredded low-fat cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- If using whole eggs, whisk together with 2 Tbsp water until well blended, this is not necessary if using egg substitute.
- In large skillet over medium heat, warm the olive oil.
- Add onion and cook, stirring until golden, approximately 5 minutes.
- Increase the heat to high and add diced tomto, cilantro, 1/2 tsp salt and black pepper.
- Cook until tomato is heated through and any juices have evaporated, about 1 minute.
- Add eggs all at once, reduce heat to medium and cook without stirring, for 1 minute.
- Using spatula, stir the eggs from the edges of the pan toward center.
- Continue to cook and stir gently until eggs are almost cooked, but are still moist, about 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle with grated cheese and cook for 1 minute longer.
- Divide and serve on warmed plates.