Entered for ZWT. From Madhur Jaffrey's "World Vegetarian". Known as "Khumbi Wala Khichri Unda" in India. Serve this with toast or any flatbread.
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil or 3 tablespoons canola oil or 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 medium white mushrooms, trimmed and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced (using both white and green sections)
- 1⁄2-1 fresh hot green chili pepper, finely chopped
- 1 small tomato, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 8 eggs, lightly beaten
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Put the oil in a large nonstick frying pan and set over high heat.
- When hot, put in the mushrooms. Stir and fry until the mushrooms appear silken.
- Add the scallions, green chile, and tomato. Turn the heat to medium and stir until the tomato softens.
- Add the cilantro, eggs, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir the eggs gently until they form thick, soft curds or are done to your taste.
- Remove from the heat and serve immediately.