Recipe by Barb G.
Serve for breakfast or brunch with hot buttered tortillas.
Top Review by PaulaG
Delightful brunch! I used about 1 tablespoon of butter to cook the onion and garlic. This is the time of the year that local green chiles is being harvested, so I used local chiles. Also, I opted to serve the sauce "chunky" style. Used egg substitute for the eggs and feta cheese. Cut the recipe back to serve 2 except for the sauce which I will serve later in the week with burritos. Thanks Barb for a wonderful recipe.
- 88.74 ml butter, divided
- 236.59 ml chopped onion
- 2 clove garlic, chopped
- 2.46 ml dried oregano
- 411.06 g canpetite diced tomatoes with juice
- 1.23 ml chili powder
- 2 large poblano chiles, seeded and diced (pasilla)
- 118.29 ml chopped green onion
- 118.29 ml chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- 8 eggs, beaten to blend
- 113.39 g crumbled queso fresco or 113.39 g feta cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onoin, garlic, and oregano and saute until onion is soft, about 3 minutes;Add tomatoes with juice and chili powder; cover and simmer 5 minutes to blend flavors.
- Transfer sauce to blender (or use stick blender); puree until smooth; season with salt and pepper,; return sauce to pan and keep warm.
- Melt remaining 4 tablespoons butter in large skillet over medium heat; Add chiles; saute until tender, about 6 minutes.
- Add green onions and 1/4 cup cilantro.
- Add eggs and cheese; Cook until eggs are softly set, stirring occasionally, about 4 minutes.
- Divide eggs among 4 plates; Spoon sauce over; sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup cilantro.