Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1⁄2 cup sliced green onions or 1⁄2 cup scallion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped bell pepper
- 6 whole eggs or 6 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup skim milk
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro leaf
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- 1⁄4 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1⁄4 cup diced red onion
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 6 slices whole grain bread
- 6 slices honeydew melon
- Make the salsa: Hold the cilantro under running water to wash off the dirt. Pinch the leaves off the stems, coarsely chop the leaves, and put them in a small bowl with the remaining salsa ingredients. Toss thoroughly until everything is blended together. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Make the eggs: Smear a nonstick medium sauté pan with 1/4 teaspoon of the oil and set it over medium heat. Sauté the mushrooms, onions and peppers in the pan, tossing them occasionally, until limp, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Whisk the eggs, salt and milk together in a small bowl. Coat the bottom of a separate pan with the remaining olive oil, set it over low heat, pour in the eggs, and partially cook them for 3 minutes, stirring with a wooden spoon until they are no longer runny. Transfer the partially cooked eggs to the pan with the vegetables and cook everything together for 1 minute, stirring with a wooden spoon or spatula. Remove from the heat and cover to keep warm.
- Cut each bread slice diagonally, put them on a cookie sheet, and toast them under the broiler on the lower rack for less than 30 seconds on each side. Serve the eggs with toast, a slice of honeydew melon, and a small ramekin of salsa.