Recipe by andypandy
toasty tasty popcorn ceral carmel mix, make and give as Christmas gifts.
Top Review by mummamills
this tastes really good when it's made, but I did have a few problems with the recipe. I couldnt boil the mixture for 5 mins, because it was quite thick after 3 mins, so I took it off the heat before it burnt. There wasnt quite enough mixture so cover all the cereals and popcorn, and it set almost the minute I poured it in. I only put it in the oven for 20 minutes, as it was crisp and crunchy by then, and as I said, tastes very good. Thanks Andy Pandy
- 6 cups popped popcorn
- 2 cups miniature shredded wheat cereal (shreddies or chex)
- 2 cups Cheerios toasted oat cereal
- 1 1⁄2 cups salted peanuts
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup corn syrup
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in a large saucepot.
- Stir in the corn syrup and brown sugar.
- Mix well over medium heat stirring well to dissolve.
- Bring to a boil.
- When a full boil across the top time now and boil 5 minutes without stirring.
- Remove after the five minutes and add vanilla, and baking soda.
- Have the cereals, corn and nuts in a buttered roasting pan, and drizzle hot mixture over all.
- Toss and coat well.
- Bake in a 250 degree oven for 1 hour, stirring every 12 minutes.
- Cool on cookie sheets.
- Store in an air tight tin.