Recipe by CraftScout
This started as Tish's Sweet Salsa Dump Chicken recipe, but I had to modify for what I had on hand. My family loved it so much, I wanted to post it so I would remember what I did! :) I took the advice of some people responding to Tish's recipe, and added rice to it. My picky picky daughter cleaned her plate.
Top Review by JackieOhNo!
This was a tasty, unique dinner. I could not find pineapple-mango salsa, so I had to settle for Paul Newman's Pineapple Salsa. I did use about 6 oz. of apricot jam, and I used 3 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts. The meat was tender and shredded up nicely. Thanks for posting your version of this flavorful meal. Made for My 3 Chefs 2009.
- 3 lbs chicken pieces, bone in
- 4 ounces apricot jam
- 12 ounces pineapple-mango salsa
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) packet taco seasoning
- 1 cup long grain white rice
Directions See How It's Made
- Put chicken, jam, salsa, and seasoning in crockpot and cook on low for 5 hours (my chicken was not completely thawed at this point).
- Put rice in crockpot and swirl and stir as best you can to mix the sauce and rice together around the chicken pieces (which should be almost falling apart at this point). Cook for 30 more minutes. This amount of liquid made perfect rice. There was just enough liquid unabsorbed by the rice to make the dish moist.
- Note: next time I wll probably use the whole 8 oz. of jam called for in the original recipe, and will bag and freeze everything (except the rice) together raw.