Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
This hearty version of our chile was developed to feed a patrol of eight hungry Boy Scouts. The recipe uses every ounce of every can and uses packaged measurements so there is no room for error in cooking and no leftovers. Accompany this excellent pinto bean chile con carne with dutch oven corn bread or camp-made deep fried sopapillas and honey-butter. Top off the meal with a cranberry-orange juice cooler.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb diced beef or 1⁄2 lb pork or 1⁄2 lb chicken
- 1 cup onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chili powder
- 15 ounces pinto beans, in chili gravy
- 15 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 8 ounces diced tomatoes
- 8 ounces yellow hominy, drained
- 1⁄3 ounce chopped green chili
- 12 ounces spicy hot V8 (vegetable juice)
- Sauté ground beef over medium heat.
- Add diced meat, and continue heating.
- Add onions and cook with meats until tender.
- Add seasonings and canned ingredients.
- Stir until well blended.
- Adjust thickness with tomato juice and water as needed.
- Simmer over low heat for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.