Prep 0 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Taken from 'Rosemany Conley's Complete Hip and Thigh Diet' book
- 450 g rump steak, cut up to 2 . 5 cm cubes (or stewing or shin beef)
- 1 liter water
- sea salt
- pepper, to taste (ground)
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon mushroom (dried)
- 700 g potatoes, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 turnip, diced
- 1 parsnip, diced
- 1 onion (diced)
- 1 leek, sliced into rings
- 1 swede, diced
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 1 beef stock cube
- 2 cm tomato puree
- 175 g peas (if frozen add to the pot 1 1/2 hours before serving)
- This is best prepared the night before.
- Place the meat in a casserole, add water and boil for 1-1 1/2 hours. Take off the heat and leave to cool. When cool, skim off all fat.
- Bring to the boil again and add worcester sauce, mushrooms, potatoes, carrot turnip, parsnip, onion, leeks, sweed, stock cubes, tomato puree and peas.
- Simmer for about 2 hours and check seasoning occasionally. Top up occsionally with boiling water.
- Serve with red cabbage and triangles of bread.