1/2 Photos of Scottish Whisky Tablet (Fudge)
C-J from the UK's Note:
I use this when I have foreign guests. This is a traditional Scottish Sweet with a adult twist. I get lots of compliments as it just melts in the mouth.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1On a low heat slowly heat the sugar, syrup, butter and milk in a large heavy bottomed pan until all the sugar is dissolved.
- 2It is quite important to make sure the sugar is dissolved before turning up the heat as it will not set properly. Hints to make sure all the sugar dissolved. Clean round the side of the pan with a pastry brush and boiling water. Dip a desert spoon in to the sugar liquid and if it comes out with no grains of sugar then the sugar is dissolved. Another test is to listen when stirring with wooden spoon to hear if the sound is grainy if it no longer sounds grainy then the sugar is dissolved.
- 3When the sugar has disolved add the whisky.
- 4Bring to Boil until the temperature reaches soft-ball stage (240º F or 115º C). Soft Ball Stage is when a spoonful of hot syrup is dropped into a bowl of very cold water. Then using your fingers in the water, take the cooled syrup and form it into a ball. If it has reached soft-ball stage, the syrup can be easily rolled in the cold water into a soft ball that doesn't hold its shape.
- 5When the mixture has reached the correct temperature take the pan off the heat.
- 6Beat the mixture until it is grainy. This is a faint sound that is made from the mixture against the pan when it has been beaten and slightly cooler.
- 7Pour into a Swiss roll tray.
- 8Leave to cool.
- 9When part set mark into bite size portions.
- 10Continue to leave the mixture until it is cold and set completely.
- 11Can store in an airtight container for up to 1 month (if you put a padlock on it and don't eat it yourself).
Browse Our Top Candy Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Candy Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Scottish Whisky Tablet (Fudge)
Serving Size: 1 (16 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 100
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 49.0
- Calories from Fat 9
- Total Fat 1.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 3.1 mg
- Sodium 10.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 9.1 g
- Protein 0.1 g