Prep 5 mins
Cook 40 mins
A traditional Scottish cottage dish.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1⁄2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 cups beef stock
- 2 cups Guinness stout
- 3⁄4 lb frozen spinach
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sage
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil and garlic.
- Add the ground beef and brown.
- Add mushrooms, beef stock, and Guinness, and bring to a boil.
- Add remaining ingredients and return to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 1/2 hour, or until liquid has reduced by 1/4.
- Serve with potato dumplings or mashed potatoes.
Thank you very much! this was very delicious! I made this with mashed potatoes and rosemary bread Rosemary Focaccia Bread
My family just loves this dish. I usually make it with a Pale Ale, as that is what I have on hand, and it turns out great. Delicious!
This is actually a rather good dish. Having never tasted Guinnes and not liking spinach, I wasn't sure how this dish would come out, but it's wonderful--even wowed my notoriously hard-to-feed friend.