Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
My grandma brought this recipe with her from Scotland in 1907. It is wonderful.
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl by hand until it forms a large ball.
- Knead thoroughly on a bread board for at least 5 minutes.
- Cut into 5 pieces.
- Place each piece into a greased 8 or 9 inch cake pan.
- Press flat with heel of your hand and prick with fork to bottom of pan.
- Bake at 350F for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool 2 mintes and immediately cut into triangles.
I enjoyed this recipe very much. I did however add a little shortening to the dough, because it was not forming well at all. I also halved the recipe because I only had 2 sticks of butter. However the finished product was fantastic and the dough easy to work once I added in the shortning. Thank you for a great recipe, it was just what I was looking for.
incredible shortbread - truly simple recipe. we decrease the flour from 5 to 4 cups for a denser consistency. wonderful gift for loved ones. great comfort food!
I've been making a similar recipe of shortbread for decades. The hand mixing is essential for the taste.