1 hr 20 mins
1 hr 10 mins
This is a recipe from an old issue of Fine Cooking. I love this shortbread, especially spread with lemon curd! Wonderful.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1[i]NOTE:If you don't have superfine sugar, make some by processing regular sugar in the food processor for about 30 seconds.
- 2[/i]Oven to 300 degrees F.
- 3Position the rack of your oven in the middle of the oven.
- 4Line an 8x8 inch baking pan with heavy duty foil, letting it extend over the sides of the pan.
- 5Sift the flour, cornstarch and salt together.
- 6Pour into a food processor or your mixer along with the half-cup of sugar.
- 7Mix briefly.
- 8Add the butter and vanilla.
- 9Mix or pulse the food processor several times just until the dough begins to come together- don't overprocess.
- 10This will probably take 1-2 minutes.
- 11Spread and gently press the dough into your pan.
- 12Do not pack the dough down hard!
- 13This is very important.
- 14Just as gently as you can to get it evenly into the pan.
- 15Bake the shortbread for about 1 hour 10 minutes, or until it just starts to turn golden.
- 16If it doesn't look done, add another 10 minutes to the time.
- 17When it comes out of the oven, sprinkle the remaining 2 tbl sugar over top.
- 18Cut into 12 squares, then let cool completely before removing from the pan.
Browse Our Top Bar Cookie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Scottish Shortbread
Serving Size: 1 (627 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 260.4
- Calories from Fat 139
- Total Fat 15.4 g
- Saturated Fat 9.7 g
- Cholesterol 40.6 mg
- Sodium 27.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 10.5 g
- Protein 1.6 g