Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
This is a recipe from an old issue of Fine Cooking. I love this shortbread, especially spread with lemon curd! Wonderful.
- [i]NOTE:If you don't have superfine sugar, make some by processing regular sugar in the food processor for about 30 seconds.
- [/i]Oven to 300 degrees F.
- Position the rack of your oven in the middle of the oven.
- Line an 8x8 inch baking pan with heavy duty foil, letting it extend over the sides of the pan.
- Sift the flour, cornstarch and salt together.
- Pour into a food processor or your mixer along with the half-cup of sugar.
- Mix briefly.
- Add the butter and vanilla.
- Mix or pulse the food processor several times just until the dough begins to come together- don't overprocess.
- This will probably take 1-2 minutes.
- Spread and gently press the dough into your pan.
- Do not pack the dough down hard!
- This is very important.
- Just as gently as you can to get it evenly into the pan.
- Bake the shortbread for about 1 hour 10 minutes, or until it just starts to turn golden.
- If it doesn't look done, add another 10 minutes to the time.
- When it comes out of the oven, sprinkle the remaining 2 tbl sugar over top.
- Cut into 12 squares, then let cool completely before removing from the pan.