1/1 Photo of Scottish Shortbread
1 hr 10 mins
Simple perfection. Buttery and elegant.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Set oven rack to middle position.
- 2Preheat oven to 275°F.
- 3Have two ungreased 8-inch cake pans ready.
- 4Food Processor Method.
- 5Cut the butter into 1-inch cubes, wrap it, and refrigerate.
- 6Process the sugars for 1 minute or so, until the sugar is very fine.
- 7Add the butter and pulse until the sugar disappears.
- 8Add the flour and pulse until there are a lot of moist, crumbly little pieces and no dry flour particles remain.
- 9Dump the mixture into a plastic bag and press it together.
- 10Remove the dough from the plastic bag and knead it lightly until it holds together.
- 11Electric Mixer or by Hand.
- 12Use superfine granulated sugar for the best texture and be sure to soften the butter.
- 13In a medium bowl, whisk together the sugars.
- 14In a large bowl, cream the butter with the sugars until light and fluffy.
- 15With your fingers or with the electric mixer, mix in the flour until the mixture holds together.
- 16If using the mixer, add the flour in 2 parts.
- 17For Both Methods.
- 18Divide the dough into 2 equal parts.
- 19Pat each half into an ungreased 8-inch round cake pan.
- 20Use the tines of a fork to press 3/4-inch lines radiating like rays of sun all around the perimeter of the dough.
- 21Prick the rest of the dough all over with the tines of the fork.
- 22(this keeps the shortbread even and creates the traditional design).
- 23Bake for 60-70 minutes or until pale golden (do not brown).
- 24For even baking, rotate the pans from top to bottom and front to back halfway through the baking period.
- 25Cool in the pans, on a wire rack, for 10 minutes.
- 26Invert the shortbread onto flat cookie sheet and slide it onto a cutting board.
- 27While still warm, use a long sharp knife to cut each 8-inch round of shortbread into 8 pie-shaped wedges.
- 28Transfer the wedges to wire racks to cool completely.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Scottish Shortbread
Serving Size: 1 (42 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 217.6
- Calories from Fat 131
- Total Fat 14.5 g
- Saturated Fat 9.1 g
- Cholesterol 38.1 mg
- Sodium 2.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 5.0 g
- Protein 2.1 g