Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Based on a recipe from Classic British. This recipe appears under the light lunches heading. The recipe intro says, “This is a delightfully simple way to serve salmon steaks. The dill, with lemon rind and juice, give a lovely piquancy to the butter but they do not overpower the delicate flavor of the fish.” The author suggests you can use other fresh herbs to flavor the butter such as mint, fennel, fronds, lemon balm, parsley or oregano instead of the dill.
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1⁄2 lemon rind, finely grated
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, chopped
- butter, for greasing
- 4 salmon steaks
- 2 lemons, sliced and halved
- 4 fresh dill sprigs
- ground black pepper
- 16 new potatoes, boiled for serving alongside
- green salad
- In a small bowl, add butter, lemon rind and juice, chopped dill and seasoning and stir together with a fork until well blended. Place this herb butter on a piece of greaseproof paper and roll up, smoothing into a sausage shape. Twist the ends tightly; wrap in clear film and place in freezer for 20 minutes until firm.
- Preheat oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas 5. Prepare four squares of foil large enough to wrap salmon steaks in by greasing lightly. Place a salmon steak in the center of each one.
- Remove herb butter from freezer and allow to sit for a few minutes. With a sharp knife, slice butter into 8 rounds. Top each salmon steak with 2 rounds. Top the butter with a halved lemon slice and a sprig of dill.
- Lift up foil and crinkle edges together to seal. Place these packets on a baking sheet and bake for about 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven, open packets and slide the contents on to warmed plates along with the juices.
- Serve hot, with new potatoes and a crisp green salad.
Definitely delicious! Am adding this to my PACKET cookbook. Seasonings are wonderful in this. Chose not to upload pic b/c they did not turn out well. Served with Cream of Cauliflower and Stilton Soup for a wonderful dinner. Thanks for sharing mersaydees. Made by an Unruly for an Unruly during ZWT6 tour of Great Britain.
Delicious! Followed the recipe to the letter and everything up to the baking time was perfect. Very impressive dish, and easy to make, too. Thanks for sharing!
Made for ZWT 8 / Great Britain for the Lively Lemon Lovelies
Perfection itself. I have been making Salmon this way for years and I adore it. Easy to cook, flavorful, one of the best recipes for us! Thanks for posting it. ZWT6