Recipe by winkki
A totally different taste to stuffed chicken! Actually, I like the 'skirlie' (oat stuffing) just baked on its own, too. :o) From "Betty Crocker's New Int'l Cookbook."
- 3 -4 lbs fryer chickens, in pieces
- 6 medium onions, cut in half
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, melted
- 1 large onion, minced
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 cup oats
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare Oat Stuffing: Melt butter in med.
- skillet; cook 1 lg minced onion on medium heat, stirring frequently, until light brown.
- Stir oats and spices; cook until oats are golden brown, stirring frequently, approx 3-4 min.
- For Chicken: Fill wishbone area of chicken with stuffing.
- Fasten neck skin to back with skewer.
- Fold wings across back; let tips touch.
- Fill main cavity lightly with stuffing.
- (This will expand while cooking, so don't stuff too much in!) Skewer/tie drumsticks to tail.
- Place chicken, breast up, in shallow roasting pan.
- Arrange halved onions around chicken.
- Brush chicken and onions with 1/4 c.
- melted butter.
- Leave uncovered; roast at 375.
- Baste several times with remaining butter during cook time, approx 1-1/2 hrs.