Recipe by Bergy
Wonderful for breakfast! Great for afternoon tea etc. etc. The secret is not to handle the dough too much after adding the buttermilk.
- 2 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup butter or 1⁄3 cup margarine
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 cup dark raisin
- 2⁄3 cup buttermilk
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix dry ingredients (not sugar or raisins).
- Add the butter and cut with knives or pastry cutter until the mixture is like fine crumbs.
- Stir in sugar and raisins.
- Stir in the Buttermilk, handle gently and do not overmix.
- Knead very gently on a lightly floured surface NO MORE THAN 10 times.
- Handle as little as possible.
- Cut dough in half and shape each into a round 6 inch circle.
- Cut each circle into 6 wedges.
- Lightly grease a griddle or skillet and place over very low heat until it is hot.
- Place scones on the griddle and cook about 12 minutes until golden brown.
- underneath, flip and cook another 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from griddle and keep warm until serving.
- Serve with butter and fruit preserves, great with strawberry freezer jam.