1/2 Photos of Scottish Oxtail Soup
2 hrs 50 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
You won't find this one in the Campbell's Soup section of your local grocery store! When I was a child, this was a family favourite and my mother made it fairly often. Nowadays, oxtails are becoming increasingly hard to find, although you might get some from an old-fashioned butcher or meat market. Therefore, some folks now substitute inexpensive cuts of bone-in beef. Here, in the metropolitan Washington, DC area, I can occasionally get oxtails from the meat department at some of the Giant Food supermarkets. In my opinion, it is well worth the hunt for oxtails, because the taste is very distinctive and different than any beef soup.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 oxtail, cut into pieces, surplus fat removed
- 2 onions, chopped (I recommend sweet onions)
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 ounce butter (or meat dripping)
- 36 ounces beef stock
- 4 ounces tomato juice
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 3 tablespoons port wine
- 1To make the spice bag, place 1 bay leaf, 3 sprigs thyme, 4 large sprigs parsley (including stalks), one 4-inch piece celery stalked with leaves, and two whole green onions in the center of a square of double thickness cheesecloth.
- 2Fold up the sides of the cheesecloth and tie off the top very tightly to make a spice bag.
- 3(Equivalent dry herbs may be substituted).
- 4Fry the oxtail pieces and the vegetables in the fat for a few minutes until lightly browned.
- 5Remove from heat.
- 6Pour the beef stock into a saucepan and add the fried oxtail and vegetables as well as the spice bag.
- 7Bring to the boil, and then transfer to a crockpot and cook on high for 1½- 2 hours (or longer if necessary) until the meat is tender.
- 8Strain the stock, cut all the meat (in small pieces) from the bones and then return the stock and meat to the pan.
- 9Bring to the boil.
- 11Mix the flour and port together and add to the soup.
- 12Simmer for 5 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Scottish Oxtail Soup
Serving Size: 1 (276 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 134.7
- Calories from Fat 58
- Total Fat 6.5 g
- Saturated Fat 3.9 g
- Cholesterol 15.2 mg
- Sodium 991.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 5.7 g
- Protein 4.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: