Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Recipe by request. Found this one and haven't tried it " .....Oatcake cookies may be prepared as directed above except add 1/3 cup sugar with the flour."
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 cup oats or 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 -3 tablespoons cold water
- Cut shortening into oats, flour, baking soda and salt until mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- Add water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until mixture forms a stiff dough.
- Roll until 1/8 inch thick on lightly floured surface.
- Cut into 2 1/2 inch rounds or squares.
- Place on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake in oven at 375 degrees F until oatcakes start to brown, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Cool on wire rack.
- Serve plain or with honey, butter, jam or cheese at breakfast or as a snack.
So yummy and easy to make! I used vegetable oil instead of shortening, and I added whole yoghurt in place of water (I had lots of yoghurt at home). My boyfriend ate them with chocolate Easter egg pieces on top! Thank you for posting a great recipe, and I will certainly make them again soon!!!
Pretty good, though they were a little crumbly as mentioned below! I added another tablespoon of water which seemed to help some, if I try this again I may add more shortening though. Then again I don't know much about cooking, that's just my guess!
I thought they were too crumbly and didn't even taste good.